I got this idea from Terry Hunnefeld from the old Goldrush program in the mid 1990’s. Terry was a Grand Rapids based broker who has since merged with By Referral Only. This was my first foray into Direct Response Marketing, and it does indeed make the phone ring, and that is the first step.
A few things to note:
- The disclaimer is right on top, which is necessary for compliance.
- The USP, or Unique Selling Proposition, is gutsy and radically different from what people are getting from other agents.
- The card itself is not fancy, and almost looks handwritten and again, separates you from other mailers which try to be glitzy and impressive.
- If prices in your market area are lower than they are here, make the amount $500.
Here’s the small print, given at the listing presentation on company letterhead:
- Home has to be priced at a recommended 60-day market price mutually agreed upon by agent and seller.
- Home MUST be shown to all reasonable requests- denying a reasonable showing request invalidates the guarantee because it could lose the buyer we were supposed to have.
- If an offer that results in a closed sale is not promulgated within 60 days of going on market and the above 2 conditions are met, the amount will be deducted from the commission at closing when the house does sell.