To my way of thinking, few things make a house a home like a pet. We’ve rescued a few dogs in our time, and the latest is Max, pictured below. He is a purebred German Shepherd whom I rescued for a fraction of what it would have cost to buy a new puppy with papers. Westchester County has plenty of resources for pet adoption, and here are a few worth checking out:
- Elmsford Animal Shelter– We adopted Logan here in 2000. First class place.
- SPCA of Westchester– walking distance from my office
- Pet Adoption League of Lower Westchester
- Westchester Shore Humane Society
- Yonkers Animal Shelter
- Little Orphan Animals in Cortlandt Manor
- New Rochelle Humane Society
- Petfinder.com has lots of local connections and is virtually the craigslist of animal recue
- Lastly, AnimalLink.org has some really good niche organizations, such as rabbits and Ferrets.